Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not a Gout Attack!

Mysterious knee pain remains a mystery. I have had rather unusually low levels of uric acid in my blood over the past few weeks - which makes sense considering my diet. So my befuddled doctor is still befuddled. He doesn't believe it is a withdrawal symptom from the fortecortin, which seems like the obvious thing to me. I haven't had any more knee pain, so there's that. In any case, he's taking me off that stuff, ramping down over the end of the week and hopefully no more problems. He finally noticed that my face is all puffy, something that started right after the final chemo treatment over 2 weeks ago. He was a bit concerned about it, thinks it's water retention (adema), but said it could be a minor allergic reaction to fortecortin. I'll be glad to be off this stuff.

Just to make sure I'm still part medication, he added 600mg of ibuprofen three times per day AND a synthetic morphine-like opiate twice a day. Five pills for breakfast, three for lunch, and five for dinner. Knee pain will probably not be a problem again. It's all supposed to be helping with my inflammation pains, too, but it still hurts to go to the bathroom. Maybe a little less than before. 

But the bottom line right now is that I feel pretty good. I feel like my body needs a lot of work and care, but knowing I just have one more radiation on Friday and after that can focus completely on recovering from treatment makes it feel like things are only going to get better. Talk about a treatment that feels worse than the disease. 

The sun is out, the trees are green, I have the energy to go walking about in the lovely warm weather, what more could I possibly want in life?

1 comment:

  1. How about a big ehug from your friends?! And a real ehug the next time we see you.

    ReplyDelete